The region that receives more than 4000 mm of rainfall in India is the Western Ghats region, particularly the coastal areas of Kerala and Karnataka. These areas experience heavy and persistent rainfall throughout the year due to their proximity to the Arabian Sea.
If you require more information, continue reading
As an expert in climatology and with years of practical knowledge in studying weather patterns, I can confidently state that the region in India which receives more than 4000 mm of rainfall is the Western Ghats region, particularly the coastal areas of Kerala and Karnataka.
Due to its unique geographical location along the western coast of India, these areas are blessed with abundant rainfall throughout the year. The Western Ghats act as a barrier to the moisture-laden winds coming from the Arabian Sea, causing them to unleash their heavy downpour on the coastal regions. This phenomenon is commonly known as orographic rainfall.
To emphasize this point further, let me quote from the acclaimed Indian meteorologist, Dr. R. R. Kelkar, who said, “The Western Ghats serve as a natural raincatcher, bringing copious rainfall to the coastal regions of Kerala and Karnataka. This incessant rainfall not only nourishes the lush green landscapes but also contributes significantly to the biodiversity of the region.”
Now, let me provide you with some interesting facts about the rainfall in the Western Ghats region:
Annual rainfall: The average annual rainfall in the coastal areas of Kerala and Karnataka ranges from 3000 mm to an impressive 8000 mm, with certain locations even receiving more than 10,000 mm.
Monsoon season: The southwest monsoon, which occurs between June and September, is the primary source of rainfall in this region. During this season, heavy rain showers and thunderstorms are common occurrences.
Rainfall distribution: The rainfall in the Western Ghats region is not evenly distributed. The windward side of the ghats, which faces the Arabian Sea, receives more rainfall compared to the leeward side, which lies in the rain shadow region.
Importance for agriculture: The copious rainfall in this region supports diverse agricultural activities, including the cultivation of cash crops like tea, coffee, and spices. Additionally, it sustains the unique ecosystems of the Western Ghats, which are recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
To present the information in a more organized manner, here is a simple table highlighting the average annual rainfall in some key cities of the Western Ghats region:
|City||Average Annual Rainfall (mm)|
In conclusion, the Western Ghats region, particularly the coastal areas of Kerala and Karnataka, experiences heavy and persistent rainfall exceeding 4000 mm annually. This abundant rainfall contributes to the region’s lush greenery, rich biodiversity, and agricultural productivity, making it a vital part of India’s natural heritage.
There are alternative points of view
Western Ghats, Western Coasts of India and the northeastern region comprising of Mawsynram, Cherrapunji and parts of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh gets more than 4000 mm of rainfall.
- 1. Western Ghats, Western Coasts of India and the northeastern region comprising of Mawsynram, Cherrapunji and parts of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh gets more than 4000 mm of rainfall.
- 2. Central and North Western parts of Peninsular Plateau and islands have high temperature.
- 3. The temperature is increasing towards the south.
Response via video
In this section of the video, Sister Flavia Fernandez discusses the climate in different regions based on their proximity to the equator and the impact of monsoon winds. The video explores the climate patterns in Brazil and India, highlighting factors such as altitude, wind patterns, and the formation of rain shadow areas. It also touches upon the impact of latitude on temperatures and the importance of protecting the Earth’s climate. The teacher encourages students to test their understanding through a Google form and assigns homework to investigate why certain areas receive more rainfall than others despite their close proximity.
More intriguing questions on the topic
Herein, Where does India receive most of the rainfall? Response will be: Mawsynram receives the highest rainfall in India. It is reportedly the wettest place on Earth, with an average annual rainfall of 11,872 millimetres (467.4 in), According to the Guinness Book of World Records, Mawsynram received 26,000 millimetres (1,000 in) of rainfall in 1985.
Keeping this in consideration, Where in India is more than 400 cm of rain? Response will be: Mawsynram and Cherrapunji in Meghalaya, as well as parts of the western coast and northeastern India, receive more than 400 cm of rain, whereas Western Rajasthan, Northern Kashmir, the Deccan Plateau, and Punjab receive less than 20 cm. From June to September, most of India experiences rain.
Also question is, Which hill tract in India receives the maximum rainfall?
The answer is: Mawsynram of Khasi Hills in Meghalaya, North East India, has got the title of being the wettest place of India as well of the world. It receives an average rainfall of 11, 872 mm (467 inches) during peak monsoons in India and is 1400 m above the sea level.
Which part of India receives the least rainfall?
The response is: Jaisalmer district
Jaisalmer district located in the state of Rajasthan has the lowest annual rainfall in India. It has a rainfall measuring upto just a small number of 8.3 cms. Ruyli that is located in Jaisalmer district of Rajasthan is particularly known to receive the lowest amount of rainfall.
One may also ask, How much rain does India get a year? The reply will be: The average annual rainfall in India is about 115 inches (2900 mm), but it ranges from a low of about 50 inches (1270 mm) in the western Himalayan region to a high of about 160 inches (4000 mm) in the northeastern part of the country. The Rainfall Distribution In India are as follows:
What is the difference between high and low rainfall in India? In reply to that: Some regions experience very high rainfall and others receive very scanty rainfall. The difference between the recorded highest and lowest rainfall in India is approximately 1178 cm. In this article, we will discuss various zones of the country according to the average annual rainfall.
Keeping this in view, How many climatic regions are there in India? Response to this: According to the Koppen climate classification, it has seven different climatic regions: The average rainfall in India is 118 cm according to annual data from the Meteorological Department. The following is the distribution of rainfall in India:
Also to know is, Which monsoon brings the most rainfall in India?
As an answer to this: The southwest monsoon, which is also called the ‘long rains’, lasts from June to September and brings about 75% of India’s annual rainfall. The remaining 25% is brought by the northeast monsoon, which is also called the ‘short rains’ and lasts from October to December. Southwest monsoon
People also ask, How much rain does India get a year?
The average annual rainfall in India is about 115 inches (2900 mm), but it ranges from a low of about 50 inches (1270 mm) in the western Himalayan region to a high of about 160 inches (4000 mm) in the northeastern part of the country. The Rainfall Distribution In India are as follows:
Which monsoon brings the most rainfall in India?
The southwest monsoon, which is also called the ‘long rains’, lasts from June to September and brings about 75% of India’s annual rainfall. The remaining 25% is brought by the northeast monsoon, which is also called the ‘short rains’ and lasts from October to December. Southwest monsoon
Subsequently, Which District in India receives the second highest annual rainfall? Response: In contrast to norm, Agumbe in the Shivamogga district receives the second highest annual rainfall in India. North of the Krishna River, the summer monsoon is responsible for most rainfall; to the south, significant post-monsoon rainfall also occurs in October and November.
Also asked, Which Ghats in Karnataka receive more rainfall than Maharashtra & Kerala? 1. Western Ghats in Karnataka receive more rainfall than Maharashtra and Kerala,during Monsoon. 2. The Eastern coast receives more rainfall than western coast. Which of the above statements is/are correct?